Tuesday, June 08, 2010

A small dilemma

Aboard the bus to school this morning, I chatted with a former Chinese classmate. He mentioned that he's going to pursue a Ph.D. in Finance at SMU while most of his classmates are going back to China to work, except for one Chinese lady who's got an offer here in Singapore with a starting salary of S$4000.

S$4000? This figure made me wonder again whether pursuing a Ph.D. is really worth it. I understand that I have wants. I can be materialistic, as what I have seen from myself lately. I want a fine life and a Ph.D. student's stipend will not give me that kind of life. Well, maybe it will but at the cost of zero savings. I do not want to count on a high-income husband to provide me with my needs. So how can I live the life I want?

So that amount really got me thinking. Hmmm.. I am in the midst of processing one last Ph.D. application and I feel like I have been urged as well to start looking for a job in Singapore.

But I know I shouldn't let money dictate me. My idealistic me is telling myself that I should pursue my ideals and money will follow. It may not be as much as the amount that I will earn if I pursue money first but life will be more meaningful without allowing oneself dictated by money. That's my idealistic self talking and I have yet to talk to her again.

When I arrived in my workstation, I saw this message from my email inbox: God has a great plan for your life including this Tuesday. What a coincidence! Indeed, I need not worry. I will just have to follow God's plan for me. And it has already been revealed in my heart. All that's left to do is for me to listen carefully to that voice deep inside me.

I want to leave you this beautiful passage from the Bible:
"Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

I do hope that I will inspire people's lives as I continue to live my ideals and strive for my dreams in a world where it could be easier to let money take the lead. I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment