Monday, June 07, 2010

One fine Sunday

Yesterday was one for the books. If I could have that feeling every Sunday here in Singapore, I might as well call this city my home.

After I left the workstation yesterday, I had a brief conversation with Monica, my Chinese classmate, over dinner where I told her how much I appreciate her honesty. To me, she is just a genuine, real person. I admire that despite her brilliance, she is heavily grounded - never boasts and admits her limitations. She does not like Facebook because it is gossip, which after giving some thought, I agree with her. I have this impression that she is wise enough to know the things that should be given more priority and which ones she shouldn't fuss about. Really a hassle-free, straight-to-the-point person.

While I admire these qualities in her, I have also come to accept and appreciate myself for being less of a Monica. It's just great to have a friend who complements myself.

After our dinner, I took the train to Esplanade and walked to Starbucks at One Fullerton where I planned to continue my leisure reading. The sun was already setting when I crossed the bridge that linked Esplanade and the Merlion Park. Those were the moments when I just wished I had a camera with me so I could capture the picturesque scenes I saw. Anyway, I hope I can buy one in July. I eventually got settled at Starbucks and started my reading. It made me feel good that I was able to do this - just hang out in a coffee shop with a good view to read a feel-good book. I felt like my old self, that self back in Manila which was subconsciously suppressed in my 1.5 years in Singapore, was starting to resurface. That feeling of being comfortable, of being able to fit in, that feeling of familiarity was starting to show itself to me, this time, in a foreign country. Maybe, I could be ready to settle here.

This book might as well turn out to my comfort book. It is amusing how Gilbert's manner of thinking reminds me so much of my friend Ting. Her jovial nature aside, Ting has a been a saving grace for me these past days. I never actually thought she'd be the person among my friends who could tolerate my "OA"ness of even managing my Facebook account to prevent myself from broadcasting my heartaches. I want to give her a medal with the title "un'amica stretta", which means a close friend. Got this from Gilbert: with the literal meaning of "stretta" as tight (as in clothing, like a tight skirt), a close friend, in Italian, is one that you can wear tightly, snug against your skin. It is amazing how our frienship has blossomed over the years. I really wish I could do more for her when the time comes that she will need me.

It was already getting late so I decided to walk my way past Boat Quay. It was a light feeling that I had. I could dream I was floating in the air. I was, however, getting hungry because I only had a small sandwich for dinner. After passing by Cavenagh Bridge, I bought the typical Singaporean $1 ice cream sandwich (though I paid $1.2). I chose chocolate chip. It was, by far, the best ice cream experience I have had. What a way to cap the day as I walked by the Singapore river passing by couples or friends hanging out in the river bank.

I know things will get better. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment