Sunday, July 07, 2019

Happy birthday, Mama Cora!


Date with Mama, sometime in 2016
***First posted on Facebook on 7 June 2019***
Happiest of birthdays, Mama Cora!

I have been blessed to be raised by parents who have not only given their all to me and my siblings, but have also encouraged and supported us to explore life, take risks, and make mistakes.

To Mama, thank you for being a living example of a woman with a can-do attitude, a woman with a strong will and determination to pursue what piques her interests against all odds. Because of your example, it was never a question for me whether I can do things. Know that during tough and stressful times in my adult life, I would constantly remind myself that I am my mother’s daughter after all, so I should be able to get through...

I am also amazed at your ability to find joy in difficult situations as well as your ability to seek help when necessary - to God and others. You are to me, someone who has been able to live life, crying and laughing with little inhibition. I used to think that you must be proud of me to be able to live the life that you never lived - being able to enjoy a job and all its perks while raising a family. But now, I think you have actually lived, however difficult the circumstances, even if the odds may be against you, for that requires a lot of character. Praise God for blessing my mother, for blessing you with resilience and that undying faith in you, no matter how flawed.

Thank you for showing me and my siblings that it is okay to make mistakes. What is important is we stand up, and learn from our failings and shortcomings. It was not articulated, but that way actually, life is more meaningful. Thank you for instilling in us the desire to give back to people’s generosity, and for showing us the importance of coexisting with a bigger society beyond the immediate family (that is, with our relatives and friends). Thank you for being a prayerful mother whom I desire to emulate.

Ma, on your birthday, I wish you good health and a heart exuding with gratitude. God has never left you. I know He will never leave you. I love you, Ma. Thank you for everything. 💛

No comments:

Post a Comment